Ultraviolet purification is one of the most effective methods of disinfecting water and eliminating bacteria that might be found in it. UV rays penetrate the harmful pathogens found in a municipal water supply or in a residential well, and kill off any of the microorganisms that might otherwise be harmful by attacking their genetic structure. Water disinfection with light in Camden County, MO is both simple and highly effective, capable of destroying 99.99 percent of the harmful microorganisms found in the water without changing its taste or smell.
This method is also highly preferable to using chemical disinfectants. You’ll typically want to avoid using chemical disinfectants like chlorine or other chemicals for disinfecting your water because they create toxic byproducts.
The benefits of UV disinfection
There are several primary benefits of using ultraviolet disinfection over other methods:
- Chemical free: As stated above, the use of ultraviolet disinfection allows you to avoid putting any unnecessary chemicals into the water. When your goal is purifying the water and killing off harmful substances, it only makes sense to try to avoid introducing potentially toxic substances into the water as part of the process.
- Effective: This is a highly effective means of killing off some of the harmful microbes likely to be found in the water. Nearly all of the microorganisms in your water supply will be killed off when you use UV disinfection.
- Energy efficient: UV filtration requires very little energy, approximately the same amount of energy it takes to light a 60-watt bulb. When you consider the various other benefits UV filtration provides, this energy load is far more than worth taking on at your home to get you clean, safe water.
- No strange tastes or odors: When you use chemicals to disinfect your water, it’s likely you will experience some alterations to the taste or smell of the water as a side effect of those substances. By avoiding chemicals and using UV disinfection instead, you can avoid an unwanted chemical taste or odor in your water.
- Little maintenance required: Once you have your UV disinfection system installed, you don’t have to worry about performing much maintenance. Just make sure you stay on top of changing your UV bulbs—this should be done about once a year. Otherwise you can forget it’s even there in your home!
You should keep in mind that UV purification is not a full solution for purifying your water for the purposes of drinking—it’s only designed to treat bacteria and viruses. If you wish to remove other contaminants, such as VOCs, heavy metals, chlorine and other debris, you should complement your UV purification system with a reverse osmosis system or other type of water purification equipment.
Interested in learning more about your options with UV light wastewater disinfection in Camden County, MO? We encourage you to contact the water purification specialists at Enviro-Line Co., Inc. today with any questions you have for our team of professionals, and we will be happy to provide you with further information.
Categorised in: Wastewater Disinfection