Why You Need to Disinfect Your Wastewater

August 26, 2020

While most of us don’t like to spend a lot of time thinking about it, every person on the planet generates a healthy share of wastewater. Every time you take a bath, and every time you flush the toilet, you’re creating wastewater. Whether your water is heading into a septic system or the public waterworks, it is crucial to ensure that you are engaging in comprehensive wastewater disinfection in Camden County, MO. Otherwise, you could be putting your family and community at risk.

What is wastewater?

Wastewater is exactly what it sounds like. It’s water that has been used and is now contaminated with bacteria or debris. Typically, wastewater is divided into two major categories: gray water and black water. Though the specific definitions vary from state to state, the general rule of thumb goes that black water is water from your toilet or kitchen sink, and gray water is everything else. However, some states don’t include kitchen sink water as black water and, therefore, define it solely as the water coming from your toilet.

Prevent the spread of disease

The most obvious reason for wastewater disinfection in Camden County, MO, is to prevent the spread of disease. On average, wastewater is about 99.9 percent water. That’s not the part to worry about, though—the trouble comes in the other 0.1 percent. This seemingly microscopic segment of your wastewater is home to a considerable number of harmful contaminants:

  • Toxic nutrients like phosphorus and nitrogen
  • Trace elements of leftover cooking oils and lotions
  • Viruses and bacteria that can lead to life-threatening diseases like E. coli and hepatitis A

That’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the threats circulating through untreated wastewater. It only takes a few cells of any of those to cause significant problems for anyone who comes in contact with it.

Get fresh life from your water

While black water is considered beyond reuse, several states are exploring the growing possibilities of reusing gray water for tasks like agricultural irrigation. This process is increasingly popular in states concerned with water conservation. Of course, you can’t reuse gray water on crops until it has been thoroughly disinfected.

A skill-oriented process

Now that you know the value of disinfecting your wastewater, it’s critical that you don’t try to accomplish the process yourself. There is a massive array of different chemicals on the market, and none of them will get the job done on their own. What’s more, different parts of the country require different approaches to treatment that are best left to those with experience in the industry.

Come to your local pros

If you’re in need of help with water disinfection in Camden County, MO, come to Enviro-Line Co., Inc., where we have nearly 50 years of experience offering unparalleled customer service and professionalism to all our clients. You can count on us for a massive selection of services for residential and commercial customers alike. Find out more about how Enviro-Line Co., Inc. can help you. Give us a call today!

Categorised in:

Enviro-Line Co, Inc.